Purpose and Scope:
The purpose of this position is to oversee and coordinate transportation needs internally for any departments throughout Patten Industries, or externally for customers requiring equipment transportation services. The Central Transportation Supervisor (“CT Supervisor”) must ensure that all equipment moves are efficiently and economically coordinated by utilizing both Patten delivery drivers/trucks and external vendors. Clear and open communication is key to meeting our customer’s critical delivery requirements. This is a full-time salaried position that may include bonuses and incentives from time to time or on an annual basis.
Objectives & Accountabilities for Transportation Coordinator (including, but not limited to):
Manage and prioritize the transportation moves to meet expectations by scheduling deliveries and pickups for all equipment within agreed timeframes
Ability to manage costs to balance profitability and maximize freight recovery by providing transportation at lowest cost per hour with given resources.
Manage relationships and communicate effectively with all external transportation vendors. Review vendor invoices for accuracy and seek to minimize costs where possible. Monitor vendors for overall effectiveness, responsiveness, procedures and costs.
Communicate effectively and timely with rental and sales coordinators and all other departments.
Respond to calls/requests immediately. Be accessible at all times during scheduled hours and as after hours as needed.
Monitor internal efficiencies/inefficiencies and improve processes as necessary.
Match proper sized truck for each delivery/pick up with eye toward efficiency and timeliness.
Recognize permit moves / specialty hauls and follow proper procedures for compliance and safety.
Must have ability to effectively manage multiple requests and multitask in a hectic environment.
Must work with rental operations personnel to effectively optimize equipment and work tool availability by location
Must maintain “on-time” record for deliveries and pick-ups with established metrics.
Utilize all available tools to drive efficiency with minimal cost per delivery hour.
· All drivers report directly to this position. The CT Supervisor / Dispatcher has authority to hire/fire, discipline all Patten 50CT personnel within guidelines of Patten Industries HR policies in addition to the Local 150 labor agreement
· Responsible for development and execution of all annual SMART Goals for CT personnel
· Responsible for completion of all annual reviews and employee documentation
· Ensures that all safety and performance training and documentation is current for entire staff
· Fill all transportation needs by maintaining a daily delivery/pick-up schedule and utilize internal and external haulers (as needed) to complete all deliveries / pick-ups on a timely basis
· Must become subject matter expert (SME) in the use of DSI software and utilize all tools and technology necessary to optimize efficiency while maximizing on time deliveries & pick-ups
· All invoicing to be completed on a daily basis
· Weekly review and approval of vendor invoices and month end timeliness
· Monthly report to Rental Manager summarizing review of CT P&L statement and key performance indicators (KPIs) including progress toward goals, on time deliveries, freight recovery and initiatives
· Manage the Patten delivery assets to maintain safe and optimal operating conditions
· All others tasks as assigned by manager
· Communication skills are essential to success in this position.
· Must clearly understand customer needs, suggesting the most suitable time for delivery and pick-up.
· Must work closely with all personnel to insure customer satisfaction.
· Gathers all necessary information regarding delivery conditions such as dock heights, narrow streets, etc.
· Notifies customer immediately if there are any delivery delays and follows up on all delayed deliveries and/or pick-ups with any applicable corrective action(s).
· Responds to all inquiries for transportation on a timely basis
· Understands that “customers” include both external (Patten customers) and internal (Patten employees and departments)
· Understands how this position impacts the corporate Net Promoter Score (NPS)
· Has polite and professional phone and face to face communication skills
· Knowledge of Product Line and Specifications (weights, sizes, etc.)
· Knowledge of State, County, and City Permitting and Hauling Processes, Noise Ordinances, etc.
· Complete understanding of Dispatching Software (DSI), Fleetmatics and iRental/DBS and other applicable tools as required.
· Working knowledge of usage and applications of all equipment and services offered by Patten
· Ability to multi-task is a must
The CT Supervisor is a vital link to the coordination of transportation and customer satisfaction. This person must be a team player and work well with all departments and all external vendors.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets